This page provides an overview of my philosophy, the analysis tools that I use, the commentary schedule and the offerings on the premium page.
Focusing on ETFs, TrendinvestorPro offers an objective and systematic approach to the analysis process. While working in London, I had the pleasure of meeting the late David Fuller and learning from his presentations. David noted that there are three possibilities when we analyze a chart.
- First, we see what we WANT to see. This usually means our biases are interfering with our analysis and distorting our vision.
- Second, we see what we THINK we see. This usually means we do not have a robust analytical process to objectively work through a chart.
- Third, we see what is REALLY there. A systematic and objective approach to chart analysis will help us see what is really on the chart.
TrendInvestorPro is all about seeing what is really there. We cannot expect to get it right all of the time, but a systematic and objective approach will greatly improve our odds. After all, trading and investing are all about odds so we should do everything we can to improve these odds.
Tools of the Trade
First and foremost, I use Amibroker and Norgate data for system development, backtesting and explorations. It is one of the fastest, cleanest and most versatile system building platforms out there. There is quite a learning curve involved when using Amibroker because it requires detailed coding.
Second, I use Optuma to create my charts and display the data just how I want to see it. As with the rest of the world, Optuma does not adjust their data for ordinary dividends. The Trader and Professional Services packages at Optuma make it easy to create custom indicators, import external data and work with WatchLists. Here is a referral link.
Third, I sometimes link charts in the commentary to an equivalent chart from StockCharts.com, which I also use at times. Many TrendInvestorPro subscribers are also subscribers to StockCharts so I make ChartLists available on a regular basis.
I also created the TIP Indicator Edge Plug-In for StockCharts ACP. This plugin includes 11 unique indicators to help investors identify trend reversals, define trend direction, find oversold setups in uptrends, apply trailing stops and measure volatility. See this article for complete explanations and chart examples.
Analysis Schedule and Report
The Analysis page is where you can find the most recent commentary and charts. The publishing schedule is as follows:
- Thursday: ETF Trends, Patterns and Setups Report. As the name suggests, this report groups ETFs according to trend strength, patterns at work and current setups. ETFs with the strongest uptrends will be at the top. This report also includes an update to the ETF Chartbook and the Ranking, Trends and Signals Table.
- The Ranking, Trends and Signals table tracks over 100 ETFs in the Core list. This table tracks StochClose trend signals and measures signal performance. Chartists can also sort by StochClose values to rank ETF performance. Overbought and oversold setups are identified as well as 52-week highs.
- Friday: Market Timing Report. This report takes a step back by looking as the bigger picture for stocks, bonds and gold. This report includes key breadth charts, signal tables, yield spreads and the Fed balance sheet.
- Saturday: Weekend Review and Outlook Video. This comprehensive video covers the long-term trends at work in the broader market, key breadth charts, bonds, gold and the Dollar. We also analyze the ETF Ranking, Trends and Signals table, and then cover the ETFs charts in a top-down manner (major index, sector, industry group, commodity, bonds).
Offerings on the Premium Page
The Premium page is where you can find articles and videos with a strategic slant and a longer shelf life.
The “Getting Started” series is at the top of the Premium page. Here you will find information on the different reports, access to members-only chartlists and details on the breadth models.
The “Strategies” section contains six part series on using the StochClose indicator in a strategy. It starts with an introduction to the indicator, moves on to testing trend and rotation signals, and finishes with the benefits of a profit target.