First and foremost, thanks for subscribing to TrendInvestorPro!
This page covers the following:
- Introduction Video
- Analysis Schedule and Reports
- Articles and Videos on the Premium Page
- My Trading Philosophy
- Tools of the Trade
Analysis Schedule and Reports
The Analysis page is where you can find the most recent commentary and charts. The publishing schedule is as follows:
- Thursday: ETF Trends, Patterns and Setups Report groups ETFs according to trend strength, patterns at work and current setups. ETFs with the strongest uptrends will be at the top.
- Thursday and Saturday: The Ranking, Trends and Signals table tracks StochClose trend signals and signal performance for over 100 ETFs in the core list. Users can also rank ETF performance and find mean-reversion setups.
- Friday: The Market Timing Report features the Composite Breadth Model to define the stock market regime: bull market or bear market. This report also covers the long-term trends for stocks, bonds, oil, and gold, and includes updates for the key yield spreads and the Fed balance sheet.
- Friday: The Market Regime page covers the current signal for the Composite Breadth Model, historical performance and charts for the indicators in the model.
- Saturday: The Weekend Review and Outlook is a comprehensive video that covers the long-term trends at work in the broader market, key breadth charts, bonds, gold, oil and the Dollar. We also analyze the ETF Ranking, Trends and Signals table, and then cover the key trends and setups on the ETF charts.
Articles and Videos on the Premium Page
The Premium page is where you can find in-depth articles and videos with a strategic slant and a longer shelf life.
At the top, the “Getting Started” series covers my chart strategy, exit strategies, the Composite Breadth Model, the report methodology and how to use the ETF ranking table.
The StochClose section contains a six part series on using the StochClose indicator in a strategy. It starts with an introduction to the indicator, moves on to testing trend and rotation signals, and finishes with the benefits of a profit target.
Further down you will find more articles covering seasonality, the momentum effect, trading pullbacks, RSI for trend-following, sector breadth signals, moving average selection and dividend adjustments.
Objective and Systematic
While working in London, I had the pleasure of meeting the late David Fuller and learning from his presentations. David noted that there are three possibilities when we analyze a chart.
- First, we see what we WANT to see. This usually means our biases are interfering with our analysis and distorting our vision.
- Second, we see what we THINK we see. This usually means we do not have a robust analytical process to objectively work through a chart.
- Third, we see what is REALLY there. A systematic and objective approach to chart analysis will help us see what is really on the chart.
TrendInvestorPro is all about seeing what is really there. We cannot expect to get it right all of the time, but a systematic and objective approach will greatly improve our odds. After all, trading and investing are all about odds so we should do everything we can to improve these odds.
Tools of the Trade
I use Amibroker and Norgate data for system development, backtesting and explorations. It is one of the fastest, cleanest and most versatile platforms out there. There is quite a learning curve because it requires detailed coding.
Second, I use Optuma to create charts, build custom indicators and display the data just how I want to see it. Here is a referral link. Here is a referral link.
Third, I sometimes link charts in the commentary to an equivalent chart from StockCharts.com, which I also use at times.
I also created the TIP Indicator Edge Plug-In for StockCharts ACP. This plugin includes 11 unique indicators for trend following, mean-reversion setups, trailing stops and volatility. See this article for complete explanations and chart examples.